Org. Setting and Reporting
Created in December 1999, the United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction is the designated focal point in the United Nations system for the coordination of efforts to reduce disasters and to ensure synergies among the disaster reduction activities of the United Nations and regional organizations and activities in both developed and less developed countries. Led by the United Nations Special Representative of the Secretary-General for Disaster Risk Reduction (SRSG), the United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction has over 100 staff located in its headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland, and in regional offices. Specifically, the United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction guides, monitors, analyses and reports on progress in the implementation of the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction 2015-2030, supports regional and national implementation of the Framework and catalyses action and increases global awareness to reduce disaster risk working with U.N. Member States and a broad range of partners and stakeholders, including civil society, the private sector, parliamentarians and the science and technology community.
The internship is UNPAID and full-time. Interns work five days per week under the supervision of staff members from the Design and Technology Solutions Team in Bangkok. The internship is for a period of two to six months depending on the needs of the office.
Responsibilities will depend on the individual's background.
If your education background is related to User Experience or Information Architecture, duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Assist in conducting design pattern inventory and assisting in standardizing patterns across web properties
- Assist in championing web accessibility standards across web properties
- Assist in conducting user research (which may include, but is not limited to, focus groups, interviews, and usability testing) to understand user needs
- Translate user research insights into website design requirements and communicating these insights to the Tech & Design team and relevant product owner(s)
- Design information architecture for website - including drafting information flows and designing lo-fidelity wireframes that clearly illustrate site structure and information flows
- Assist in producing design specifications, personas, storyboards, scenarios
- Work closely with technical team to ensure that design specifications are implemented.
- Communicate with developers, including providing input on any needed digital enhancements and advocating for users
- Conduct layout adjustments and troubleshooting based on user feedback
If your education background is related to Web Development, duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Assist in the creation of project plans and estimating time on task for design work
- Assist in review of existing documentations of online systems (feedback, recommendation and maintenance)
- Assist in investigating reported bugs and issues of existing system
- Assist in coding new modules and methods, refactor existing modules, methods and codes
- Assist in the establishment/development of testing framework for applications
Speaks and writes clearly and effectively. Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately. -Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication. Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience. Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others' ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Considers all those to whom services are provided to be "clients" and seeks to see things from clients' point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients' needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients' environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
To qualify for an internship with the United Nations Internship Programme, the following conditions must be met:
- Applicants must meet one of the following requirements: (a) be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher); (b) be enrolled in the final
academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelor's level or equivalent); or (c) have graduated with a university degree (as defined above) and, if selected, must commence the internship within a one year period of graduation;
- Be computer literate in standard software applications;
- Have a demonstrated keen interest in the work of the United Nations and have a personal commitment to the ideals of the Charter; and Nations and have a personal commitment to the ideals of the Charter; and
- Have a demonstrated ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which include willingness to try and understand and be tolerant of differing opinions and views.
- If your background is related to User Experience, the following fields of study are preferred: Information Design, Human Computer Interaction, Interaction Design, Product Design, Industrial Design.
- If your background is related to Web Development, study in Computer Science is preferred.
Applicants are not required to have professional work experience for participation in the programme;
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. Fluency in spoken and written English is required for this Internship Programme.
Potential candidates will be contacted by the hiring manager directly for further consideration.
A completed online application (Cover Note and Personal History Profile) is required.
Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
The Cover Note must include:
- Degree programme (What are you currently studying?)
- Graduation Date (When will you graduate or when did you graduate from the programme?)
- List the IT skills and programmes that you are proficient in.
- List your areas of interest.
- Explain why you are the best candidate for this specific internship.
- Explain your interest in the United Nations Internship Programme.
- A link to an online portfolio of academic or extra curricular course work if available.
In your online Personal History Profile, be sure to include all past work experiences, IT skills, and three references.
Due to the high volume of applications received, ONLY successful candidates will be contacted.
A person who is the child or sibling of a staff member shall not be eligible to apply for an internship at the United Nations. An applicant who bears to a staff member any other family relationship may be engaged as an intern, provided that he or she shall not be assigned to the same work unit of the staff member nor placed under the direct or indirect supervision of the staff member. For purposes of this instruction, "child" means (i) the child of a staff member; (ii) the child of the spouse of a staff member (stepchild); and (iii) the spouse of a child of a staff member or a staff member's spouse (son- or daughter-in-law). "Sibling" includes the child of both or either parent of a staff member and the child.
United Nations Considerations
According to article 101, paragraph 3, of the Charter of the United Nations, the paramount consideration in the employment of the staff is the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, competence, and integrity. Candidates will not be considered for employment with the United Nations if they have committed violations of international human rights law, violations of international humanitarian law, sexual exploitation or sexual abuse, or crimes other than minor traffic offences, or if there are reasonable grounds to believe that they have been involved in the commission of any of these acts. The term “sexual exploitation” means any actual or attempted abuse of a position of vulnerability, differential power, or trust, for sexual purposes, including, but not limited to, profiting monetarily, socially or politically from the sexual exploitation of another. The term “sexual abuse” means the actual or threatened physical intrusion of a sexual nature, whether by force or under unequal or coercive conditions.
Due regard will be paid to the importance of recruiting the staff on as wide a geographical basis as possible. The United Nations places no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. The United Nations Secretariat is a non-smoking environment.
Applicants are urged to follow carefully all instructions available in the online recruitment platform, inspira. For more detailed guidance, applicants may refer to the Manual for the Applicant, which can be accessed by clicking on “Manuals” hyper-link on the upper right side of the inspira account-holder homepage.
The evaluation of applicants will be conducted on the basis of the information submitted in the application according to the evaluation criteria of the job opening and the applicable internal legislations of the United Nations including the Charter of the United Nations, resolutions of the General Assembly, the Staff Regulations and Rules, administrative issuances and guidelines. Applicants must provide complete and accurate information pertaining to their personal profile and qualifications according to the instructions provided in inspira to be considered for the current job opening. No amendment, addition, deletion, revision or modification shall be made to applications that have been submitted. Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to reference checks to verify the information provided in the application.